Thursday, August 13, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Required Reading

Hey booklovers! Happy Wednesday! It is time for another Top 5 Wednesday post which was created by Lainey and can be found here: Top 5 Wednesday Group. So today's topic is favorite required reading. This means books that teacher's required you to read throughout school. Now whether you actually read those books is an entirely different story. I have read most of my required reading throughout my school career, so as a current Senior in high school these are my favorite required reads so far. I think I am very fortunate as far as required reading goes because I actually really enjoyed most of the books I have read, especially these.

5. That Night by Alice McDermott



I read this book either my freshman or sophomore year of high school and really enjoyed it. It is a lot different from other novels taught in school. I really enjoyed the premise and the plot and thought many important topics were addressed in this novel.






4. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck



This is a classic novel that I really enjoyed reading in school. I read this towards the middle of my junior year and really, really enjoyed it. I loved the characters George and Lennie and I loved being taken along on their journey. I think this novel should be a must read for everyone.






3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett 



This was a book I read in 8th grade in something called "Reading Circles". At the end of 8th grade our teacher would list some books that we could pick from and whoever picked the same book would be in our "Reading Circle". This was one of my favorite books that I read in school because it wasn't a classic, but it definitely felt like one. I wish more schools taught this book because I think it is very important.




2. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee




This is a book I read my sophomore year of high school and I really, really enjoyed this. It wasn't what I expected at all when I first started reading it. This was almost my number one favorite but the next book I liked reading for school a little bit more.This novel handles so many controversial topics in such a great way.  It really shows what living in this time period was like.





1. The Giver by Lois Lowry 




This is my absolute favorite book that I have read in school! I read this with my 8th grade English teacher as well! She always picked the best books. I love this one so so much. It was the first dystopian novel that I had ever read which brought me into a whole new genre of books. If you love dystopian this is a must read for you.





http___signatures.mylivesignature.com_54492_270_7981D1335B2C38B7F228BB2746AC695A