Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Top Five Wednesdays: Favorite Books Outside Your Comfort Zone

Happy Wednesday! I hope everyone had a great 4th of July Weekend. Today I will be talking about books that I read that were outside my comfort zone. These are books that are something that I wouldn't normally read if someone hadn't recommended them to me. I typically read Young Adult Fiction and anything outside of that is mostly new territory for me. These are the reads that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed.

1. Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson




This is a nonfiction book following Jenny Lawson who explores her lifelong battle with her mental illness. I absolutely LOVED this book. I thought the humor was perfect and she really knows how to make light of her entire situation. I rarely pick up nonfiction, but this book really made me feel like I should be reading more of it. My rating: 4/5 stars. 





2. You by Caroline Kepnes



This novel is an adult fiction thriller. Something that I never pick up. In fact I believe this was the first adult thriller that I have ever read. But guess what, I LOVED it. It was super creepy and just what I was looking for at the time. This book is told in second person POV, which is incredibly unique and interesting. I went into this book blind, which is something that I recommend you do. My rating: 3/5 stars. 





3. Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick


I picked up this book for a high school research project. I went really out of my comfort zone with this one. Before reading this book, I knew next to nothing about the country of North Korea. This book is incredibly fascinating and something that I think everyone needs to read. I was absolutely floored by what North Korean citizens have to face every day. Highly, highly recommend. My rating: 5/5 stars. 





4. Science: A Discovery in Comics by Margaret de Heer 





This was the first graphic novel that I had ever read! I was very leery on if I would like graphic novels or not, but this one made me fall in love with them. I learned so much about different scientists and scientific discoveries in such a fun and different way. And I have been obsessed with graphic novels ever since.





5. Blankets by Craig Thompson 


This is another one of the first graphic novels that I have ever read. This is an adult fiction graphic novel set in Michigan! This book was out of my comfort zone because of how large is it. This novel is nearly 600 pages which is a very large commitment for someone new to graphic novels. I definitely didn't regret reading it though because it was absolutely amazing.
My rating: 5/5 stars. 





http___signatures.mylivesignature.com_54492_270_7981D1335B2C38B7F228BB2746AC695A